Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Mark making, exercise 3

To be able to start this exercise I had to clean my studio tables first. Letting the wet sheets of paper dry requires space :-) and as I am working on several quilts at the same time, plus a weekend of atc's/apc's cluttered is the word which fitted best to how my tables looked.
This exercise is a repeat of exercise 1 but using a broader range of materials. Exercise 1 was using pensil only, which of course limits the color to one. With this exercise I could use the colors which - to me - are fitting to the words. For the word fast I used reddish colors. Top row from left to right: acrylic paint appliid with a thin stick - blunt oil pastel - sharp oil pastel. Bottom row: broad marker - inktense pencil with water - wet sponge with acrylic paint.
For slow I used relaxed green colors and wavy lines. Top row from left to right: blunt oil pastel - thin marker - wet sponge with Lumiere paint. Bottom row: wooden stick with Lumiere paint - blunt oil pastel - inktense pensil with water.
For hard I used bright dark colors. Top row from left to right: dry inktense pencil - acrylic paint using punchinella (sequin waste) as template - wet sponge with Lumiere paint (pressed with force onto the paper). Bottom row: blunt oil pastel - sharp oil pastel -wooden stick with print paint.  With all 6 samples I pressed with force and had the marker/pastel/stick at a high angle.
As you can see for the word soft I used very little pressure and light colors. Top row from left to right: wet sponge with Lumiere paint - paintstik rubbed from the template onto the paper - inktense pencil with water. Bottom row: blunt oil pastel - bubble wrap stamping with Lumiere paint - paint with almost dry brush.
For sharp I used thin (pointy) lines. Top row from left to right: sharp oil pastel - acrylic paint with thin wooden stick - writing pen. Bottom row: marker - Lumiere paint with stamp - inktense pencil with water. At this point I started to  get some contamination from the paper above and from the template I have been using all the time.
Delicate: soft colors and not much difference between the colors used. Top row left to right: inktense pencil with water - sharp oil pastel covered with diluted paint (to reduce the color difference between pastel and paper) - blunt oil pastel covered with pain. Bottom row: marker covered with diluted paint - wet sponge with mixture of colors - acrylic pain with almost dry brush.
To expresss bumpy better I either used 2 colors or a combination of thin/broad. Top row from left to right: wooden stick with 2 colors of Setacolor paint - brush with 2 colors of Setacolor paint - sharp oil pastel covered with paint. Bottom row: marker both blunt as well as fine tip - inktense pencil with water - sharp oil pastels in 2 colors.
 For smooth I used flowing lines. Top row from left to right: foam stamp with paint - mask with paintstik - brush (almost dry) with Lumiere paint. Bottom row: thin marker - wet sponge with paint - inktense pencil with water.
The most fitting color for sensuous is red :-). Top row left to right: acrylic paint with wet sponge (little pressure so that the markings of the sponge show best) - foam stamp with acrylic paint - wooden stick with acrylic paint (curvy lines). Bottom row: brush with acrylic paint - marker (blunt tip) - inktense pencil with water. With this word I used mainly curvy, rounded lines.
For the word sad I used - not surprisingly I guess - dark colors. Top row from left to right: marker both broad as well as fine tip - sharp oil pastel (multiple lines crossing each other) -wet sponge with paint this dried up lighter in color than I had expected). Bottom row: wooden stick with paint - thin stick with print paint - almost dry brush with paint.
And the last word for this exercise: happy. For this word I used different bright colors.  Top row from left to right: wooden stick with paint - marker (fine tip) - brush with acrylic paint. Bottom row: inktence pencil plus fine marker and water - blunt oil pastel covered with diluted paint (the dark spots are contamination from the stencil) - sharp oil pastels in 2 colors covered with diluted paint.
My conclusion is if I compare exercise 1 and 3 that the added colors and materials increase the range of expressions the markings can give. I had more fun with this exercise than with the one only using pencils.

No comments:

Post a Comment